Perhaps my favourite aspect of traveling is discovering makers and brands from around the globe. Talented artisans and unique creations remind us of the time we spent in distant lands. Our summer travels led us on an adventure in Edinburgh where we stumbled upon a hidden gem. This enchanting city is home to the equally enchanting childrenswear brand, Selenita.
Whoa, hello there December! I swear this year you were two weeks early, or maybe I just need two more weeks of you. In any case, you're here and we're in the thick of holiday gifting. It was both fun and challenging shopping for the girls this year. What do you get a younger sibling who seemingly has everything she could need? I've given a lot of thought to this and other gifting quandaries and wanted to share my little list of favorite items. Some we've had for a while and some are newly acquired but all are well loved and hail from our favorite manufacturers. From one maker's hands to our little hands, there is something special that transpires during the holiday season of giving.
1. Sarah & Bendrix Handmade Wooden Dog with Xylophone - I cannot get over this gorgeous toy which was handmade in the Czech Republic from sustainable sources. As you pull the adorable doggie across the floor, he plays a xylophone with a darling 'ting ting.' I'm also a sucker for sentimental packaging. With every Sarah & Bendrix toy, a special tag reads, "I have traveled from a small factory in the heart of Europe, to be your friend. You can name me and take me on all your adventures. When you grow up, pass me on to other children, so I can recount all our tales...I'm here to stay."
2. Eperfa The Hillside Forest Set from Over the Ocean - These darling wooden figures were inspired by the surroundings of Lake Balaton in Hungary and the hills around Budapest. Each piece was thoughtfully created to represent the natural world that surrounds these regions. They in turn inspire us to appreciate and protect our own environs.
3. 1978 Fox Boot in Chocolate from Zimmerman Shoes - I don't think I could have imagined a more perfect shoe for Mila's first steps. As her confidence builds and with the help of her big sister, she'll be walking before long. These gorgeous baby booties are sturdy enough to support her baby steps and double as a beautiful heirloom decoration for baby's room.
4. Bambi Blanket Beige in Organic Cotton from Fabulous Goose - A great gift for anyone in the family, you simply cannot go wrong with a Fabulous Goose blanket. Thoughtful Scandinavian design paired with organic GOTS certification is a recipe for one 'Fabulous' blanket. They have served us well, from stroller rides, to picnic settings and most recently, designated dance floors for indoor lip sync parties.
5. Sugar Plum Adventure Belt from Oma + Jo - We've been eyeing these adventure belts from Oma + Jo for some time now so when they came out with a (gulp) shiny purple version, there was no hesitation. We are at the age of favorite colors and purple rules the roost these days. With a little hint of glitz and a big appetite for adventure, this belt has quicly become a favorite place to stash our treasured findings.
Elise is about to start school five days a week and I'm trying to savor every last moment with her before the bustle of fall begins. We took a trip to Ipswich in search of a pair of these Royal Horticultural Society Hunter boots for moi. I'm a bit of a want to be gardener even though I've managed to kill even the most hearty of succulents and I do appreciate a good flower show (husband makes fun of this on a regular basis but there is NOTHING wrong with it!) so these boots were calling my name, naturally.
This town is too cute. A short distance past the town center there is a darling river walk where we sat down for a picnic. It wasn't too hot thankfully so we were able to pull out some of the girls' early fall pieces. Where do I start?
When I first came across The Tame Fox I immediately began to fill my shopping cart with goodies from their website including Elise's ivory blouse. The pieces are handmade to order in Alaska and the love that goes into each piece is apparent in every detail. This top is stunning. It is fully lined and charming cap sleeves are adorned with the perfect amount of gathering.
Now travel back to New England for the birthplace of Misha and Puff, designer of Mila's merino hand dyed romper. This is an essential three season piece and she'll be wearing it well into spring. I've been in love with this brand for a few years now when I first saw it appear in select stores around Boston. Minikin has a great selection of these pieces and as I've said before, they are always a pleasure to purchase from.
Flower shows aside, I have a weakness for Scandinavian design. I even once planned a vacation around it (more about that on another day). This part of the world can do no wrong in my eyes when it comes to clean design and environmental awareness. The union of these two elements encompasses the brand Fabulous Goose, maker of the softest fleece blankets which also happen to meet the strictest requirements for quality. This blanket is made from GOTS certified organic cotton and feels like velvet.